Sport plays an important part of life at Grace Dieu and the School has a strong reputation for its sport, with its excellent sports facilities, coaching and sporting achievements.
We offer three interwoven strands of Sport at Grace Dieu:
- Firstly, all pupils take part in Physical Education (PE) for an hour each and every week. PE sees pupils introduced to movement and fundamental skills in the Pre-Prep and then, in the Prep department it focuses on introducing pupils to a wide range of different sports.
- Secondly, all pupils have an hour’s swimming lesson each week, to learn this key life skill. As they progress they then have the opportunity to develop their swimming to a competitive level in Swimming Galas.
- Thirdly, our Prep aged pupils participate in Games (practising and playing team sports) for two hours a week in Years 3 & 4, and an hour a week plus a fixtures afternoon for Years 5 & 6.
Our Sports team:
Our Sports team is headed up by Helen Blencoe, Head of Sport. Whilst also being a specialist PE teacher with a BA Hons degree in Physical Education from the University of Bedfordshire and heading up all aspects of Sports and Activities at Grace Dieu, Helen has been playing Rounders for England for over 15 years.
- Richard Pickersgill is a specialist PE and Boys’ Games teacher, with a BA Hons Degree in Sport from Durham University.
- Saffron Jelley teaches Girls’ Games and is a specialist PE teacher with a BEd Hons degree, specialising in Sport from Nottingham Trent University.
- Alex Watt is our Graduate Assistant, with much experience in Football coaching, who has recently graduated from the University of Derby.